Friday 21 September 2012

Adventures in sewing - my first skirt!

So, when I say I'm really into sewing, what I mean is, I'd like to be able to sew things. I have a little dream that one day I'll be able to see a garment online or in a magazine, and recreate it myself.
I know it's possible, my cooking dream was to be able to open a cupboard full of random ingredients and invent dishes from scratch, and that's second nature to me now.
It just takes practice, patience and perseverance - if I was a motivational speaker, I'd probably start calling them the "three P's" right about now...
Anyway, I've done SOME sewing, but being an impatient type, I've never sewn anything reaqlly good. I've made wheat bags and the like, quick easy stuff, but never anything I'm really proud of.
I've just started going to a sewing class, so I'm serious about wanting to learn properly now, and today I decided to have a go at making a skirt.
I made a simple skirt from two pieces of fabric, with an elasticated waistband to eliminate the need for buttons or zips. Plus, you know, with my love of food, elaticated waistbands are always my friend...


Ta DA! Isn't it cute?
I used a cosy corduroy fabric in an autumnal olive colour, now I'm getting all excited about bonfires, hot chocolate and snuggling up on cold evenings. It's making me want to crochet a blanket!
Now that I've sewn something actually wearable from scratch, I feel like there's no stopping me! Stay tuned for more adventures in sewing!

2 comments:

  1. Well done you! It's lovely :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay Jodie, well done - and I'm loving the pink hair I spotted in the playground this afternoon :)
    Debz
    x

    ReplyDelete