Wednesday 19 September 2012

Let's buy a campervan!

I've wanted a campervan as long as I can remember. It was always a dream of mine to be able to just take off whenever I could, and explore this beautiful country we live in.
I was in love with the idea of not just the freedom to drive anywhere and sleep where you park, but also the idea of a simpler life. Not dragging case loads of stuff with us, just a bare necessities, make do and mend, improvising with what you have to hand kind of attitude.
My kids like their home comforts, but I think it's so important to learn to enjoy the outdoors, and develop an appreciation for nature and making a fun day just from woods and rocks and seaside games. Just enjoying each other's company and learning to explore your surroundings. Peace, man!
This is what I love so much about Steve (one of the millions of things) - he shares the same ideas and sense of adventure. He gets the importance of trying new things and spending quality family time together.
Anyway, in the first couple of days of our relationship, we'd been talking about things we always wanted to do, and owning a campervan was high on the list for both of us.
About three weeks into our relationship, he sent me a text saying he had a "cunning plan" to discuss with me. I asked what it was, and he said "We should buy a campervan together, what do you think?"
My reply was "I think I want to marry you"

We started looking straight away, but eBay is full of shoddy sellers, there were a lot of very vague ads and campers with very expensive problems.
Finally, after five months of looking, Steve texted me a picture of a van, and I knew right away it was ours. Within an hour of frantic texting back and forth, the deal was done, train tickets were bought and two days later, we travelled 450 miles to pick up this little beauty...


Isn't she gorgeous! We decided to call her Doris, and we're going to have so much fun getting her fully restored and "ours". Steve knows a good bit about doing up cars, so he can take care of the engine work and cab area, and I'm really into decorating and sewing, so I'm looking forward to getting the inside all pretty!
Here's the story so far on the inside...

Looking pretty good, but we can do better! We've decided to go for a bit of a seaside theme, so there will be blues, greens and yellows, with lots of cosy blankets and snuggly cushions. Can't wait for all the amazing adventures we're going to have. Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment